About Campeiro Horses
Campeiro horses originated from Spanish and Portugese horses
that were introduced into Brazil by sea Captain Alveres Nunes during his
journies from Santa Catarina to Paraguay. Their first expedition was in 1541
and Cabeza de Vaca landed with soldiers, seeds, cattle, and 46 horses. The
first official records of horses in Santa Catarina were in 1728. During the
19th century the Campeiro was crossed with Thoroughbred and Arabian blood to
refine their looks and improve performance.
In 1976 the Brazilian Association of Campeiro Horse Breeders
was founded and the herd book opened in 1985.
On average they are 13.9 to 15.1 hands high. Their movement
is elastic with a marchadore and trote step, there four beat gait is diagonal
broken or laterally broken.
Their head has a sub-convex facial profile; a wide strong neck
with good linear musculature; and a wide muscular chest. Their back is medium
length, muscular, and well arche. Their legs are muscular with good hooves. They
are found in chestnut, bay, and buckskin.